Hand and Finger Puppets
Well, there are so many varieties of puppets actually. The most popular one which I saw in the past were traditional hand puppets which were handmade. They are normally colorful and are used as entertainment purposes.
Sometimes these puppets are being used to perform by the help of strings and also by hand and fingers. In fact, many people love them as they are so cute and come in different forms and colors. I’m sure you must be wishing to learn how to make them at home.
Yes, of course, you can make them yourself as it is very easy. I’m going to show you how to make the easiest finger puppets. Once you are used with the basic way of making them, then it will be easier for you to add more decorations to them by your own creative ways. You can create any forms you wish.
How To Make Finger Puppets
How to make them yourself
A finger puppet can be used either with one finger only or even with all the five fingers. It can be seen mostly in kindergartens. Kids love to play with these puppets. This is why they are being used to entertain them. At the same time, it is the easiest way to make them understand stories. They won’t get bored easily and will be more attentive.
So, let me help you in making the finger puppet. Today, I’m going to use an old glove to make it. It is more easier and quicker too.
Are you ready?
Great. Here comes the step to step instructions for you.
- Take an old glove and cut the fingers. You will be going to use the fingers only to make the puppets.
- Take a kitchen cleaning cloth of your favorite color. You can have them in different colors such as blue, red, pink, yellow and so on.
- Cut a square of one or two inches on each side. It depends upon the size of the ones you are going to make.
- Draw your favorite animal’s head, flower, or anything you wish to with a marker.
- Cut the shapes from the inside of the markings.
- If you are drawing an animal’s head, then make sure to cut more shapes for the eyes, ears, mouth and nose.
- Go on sticking them on the face.
- Put some tacky glue on the finger tips and stick the shapes onto them. You can make different forms for each finger, for example, different flowers on each finger.
- You can make these finger puppets look more beautiful by adding small colored buttons, colorful beads, ribbons, thick threads and so on.
NOTE: If you don’t have old gloves, you can still use the kitchen cleaning cloth to make the fingers.
Let me show you how
- You just have to make the pattern of the fingers on a bristol paper. Here, you will have to make them a little bigger than your own fingers so that you can slide them easily inside.
- Place this pattern on a folded kitchen cleaning cloth and cut them.
- You will get two finger shapes which you will use for one finger.
- When you are finished with all the finger shapes, it’s time to sew them all around leaving a space in which you will slide your fingers.
Ready to have fun with them now.
So, what will you need to make them?
You won’t need a lot of things. In fact, maybe most of them you already have at home. So, just use them in a creative way this time and have fun along with your kids. In fact, they can help you in making these puppets too.
How To Make Puppets
Many ideas here
There are all sorts of puppets and they are as easy to make as I’ve shown you for the finger puppets. If you wish to make more in different styles and forms, then these videos will help you. You will find the step to step instructions of how to make a puppet from scratch, how to make puppet with socks, how to make a spider puppet, and so on.
Get to work and have fun.